Friday, November 6, 2009

Close to Home

Last night two houses burned down only a few blocks away from where we live. Due to the high winds the first house fire quickly jumped to the next house, and even damaged a third a bit. Needless to say, it's scary to think how easily it could be you in the situation that those poor families are now in, when it happens that close to home. Even if you are the type of person who is extra cautious about turning off your curling iron, everyone forgets sometimes, and if it's not you, it could easily be your neighbour.

While I was lying in bed waiting for sleep last night, I spent a lot of time thinking about the items that I would try and grab if I were ever staring down a fire at the house next door to mine {if it is mine that is already on fire, my only task will be to get myself, hubby and Baby B out safely obviously}. I started to realize how much of my stuff is irreplaceable and how even more is totally replaceable ~ if you have insurance of course {shameless plug for the industry that my husband works in}.

Hubby and I take extra care to back up all the pictures that we take on a separate external hard drive that he keeps at work, so I guess pictures are no longer at the top of my priority list. The albums we have from before the digital age would be sadly missed of course, but we keep them in such obscure places {closets} that they wouldn't be able to be saved likely.

Most of my jewelry doesn't have value aside from the sentiments associated with it, but I would probably want to try and grab my jewelry box if I could. However, I guess my priorities have changed since becoming a mother, because I found myself mostly thinking about trying to save my son's favourite toys, newborn booties, and his adorable little clothes. I thought more about how becoming homeless would affect Baby B... and didn't think much about even grabbing a coat {not even my fab gifted coat from hubby a few weeks ago} for myself before heading out the door. I guess it just shows how unconditional and immense my love is for my little guy... and how thankful I am that we are safe and healthy today! My thoughts are with my neighbours who lost everything last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment