Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cooking Up Compliments

It seems to be becoming a pretty common theme for Wife Wednesdays that I am in the process of learning to cook. It has been the most challenging aspect of being a stay-at-home mom for me, personally. When my husband and I were both working full-time (outside of the home) before becoming parents, we shared the meal preparation duties. To be honest my husband did the majority of the actual cooking, with me focussing on side dishes and such.

Now I do the grocery shopping, and plan and prepare the meals, occasionally asking the hubby to barbeque as required. It's still a huge battle for me every weekend to come up with a meal plan and then, each day at 5:30pm, attempt to turn my groceries into something that is edible and the whole family enjoys. It's no secret that toddlers are picky eaters, and after spending the time and energy making something it can be so disheartening when my son refuses to eat what I put in front of him.

That's why it was the highlight of my month {I am not exaggerating either}, when a few weeks ago after preparing my mom's spaghetti sauce recipe for the first time by myself, both my husband and son gobbled up the food on their plates whilst making the appropriate slurping and smacking noises, and then asked for more. I couldn't have been happier or prouder of myself. It definitely gave me the motivation to continue learning all that I can about cooking. I am even looking into some cooking classes to further my culinary skills. If anyone knows if any such classes in Calgary please share {or a favourite "beginner" recipe website will be equally appreciated}! And, if you are in the same boat as me, know that you are not alone, keep trying, and celebrate every little compliment!

No comments:

Post a Comment